Today the word textile is freely defines as any products made from fibers also is applied to non-woven fabrics, knitted fabrics and special fabrics construction in addition to weaving. When the word textile is used with term "fiber" it refers to any product capable of being woven or other wise made into fabrics.
But now a days widely "textile" is refered to the entities that are linked with the manufacturing and processing of the textile products.
Textile Engineering: The section of engineering where the knowledge about manufacturing and processing of textile products are given, is called the textile engineering. In this section, the technological, manufacturing and also the processing knowledge of textile goods are achieved.
Sectors Of Textile Engineering
- Yarn manufacturing technology,
- Fabric manufacturing technology,
- Dyeing /Colouration /Wet processing technology,
- Garments /Apparel manufacturing technology.
Textile Fibers: The materials which consists fibrous structure and its length is thousands times higher than its width and which can be spun into yarns suitable for weaving or knitting is classified as textile fibers.
To Become Textile Fiber It Should Have The Following Fundamental Properties:
- It should have fibrous structure and the length should be thousand times longer than its width,
- It must have sufficient strength, elasticity and spinning power,
- It should have fine structure and flexibility,
- It should have dyability or dyes and chemical absorbancy,
- It must be readily obtainable in adequate quantities so that the end products will be cheap,
- Protecting ability from biological agents.